Karma Wilson's debut book Bear Snores On has received rave reviews, won numerous awards, and has been a New York Time's and Publishers Weekly Bestseller in the children's picture book category. One by one, a whole host of different animals and birds find their way out of the cold and into Bear's cave to warm up. But even after the tea has been brewed and the corn has been popped, Bear just snores on! Jane Chapmans lush, detailed illustrations give this book a very "classic" feel.
favorite spread in Bear Snores On is
the one with the silhouette of the characters dancing (shown
More about the book coming soon.
Awards & Honors for Bear Snores On:
• New York Times and Publishers Weekly Bestseller in the picture book category.
• Winner of the 2002 National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA) -Children's Resource Gold Award Winner.
• Winner of the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Platinum Book Award.
• Chosen as a 2003 ALA Notable Book.
• Chosen by Capitol Choices as a 2002 noteworthy book for children under age seven.
• Pointed out as one of ten highly commended titles in Charlotte Zolotow picture book awards.
• An IRA (International Reading Association) Children's Book of the Year finalist and is on the IRA notable children's book list for 2003.
• Bear Snores On is the winner of 2004 Great Lakes' Great Books Award
Bear Snores On has been nominated for the following state awards. What an honor for a humble bear!
• 2004 New York Charlotte Award
• 2004 Maryland Children's Book Award
• 2004 Virginia Young Readers Award
• 2003-04 Wisconsin Wema Golden Archers Award
• 2002-03 Wyoming Buckaroo Book Award
• 2004 Washington Children's Choice Picture Book Award
• 2004 MRA (Michigan Reader's Association) Book Award
• 2003 New Hampshire Ladybug Book Award
• 2004 Arizona Young Readers Award
• 2003 - 2004 North Carolina Children's Book Award Nominees
• “Wilson has crafted a story that is just right for chilly winter nights. The layout, with unusual breaks and oversized verbs, emphasizes the rhythm of the story. The characters are infused with warmth and humor. Though anthropomorphic, they retain their realism, due in part to the detail with which they are rendered. The warm, soft tones of these acrylic illustrations perfectly capture the coziness of Bear's lair and capture the action . Kids will ask for this book again and again.”
–School Library Journal Starred Review for Bear Snores On
• “The delightful illustrations on over-sized pages depicting the animals' party are the perfect accompaniment to the lyrical text. Little ones will snuggle into bed on a snowy night to hear this one.”
–Kirkus Reviews for Bear Snores On
• “...first-time author Wilson describes the ensuing high spirits with a musical flair...”
–Publishers Weekly for Bear Snores On
• “Newcomer Karma Wilson has succeeded in the surprisingly difficult task of writing a children's book effectively in rhyme. For her tale about a sleeping bear, she hones short verses that dance the reader along, only slowing the pace to repeat the phrase, “But the bear snores on.”...”
–Book Magazine for Bear Snores On
• “The comfy look of Bear's cave and the snappy rhythm of the text beckon youngsters into the story, and the expressively drawn, amusingly posed animal characters ensure repeated
–Booklist reviewing Bear Snores On
• “This is a cozy, appealing snuggle of a read-aloud, just right for bedtime, lap time or anytime.”
–Children’s Literature reviewing Bear Snores On
• "Quite simply it (Bear Snores On) was the best debut picture book of 2002."
–Midwest Book Review for Bear Snores On